Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Crimping for an AR15?

What are you thoughts on using the Lee Factory Crimp Die on rifle rounds for an AR15? Particularly those for 223 Rem and 300 AAC BLK. Is it worth while to use or will it make a difference whether or not I do use it? Or is it even worth crimping rifle rounds at all? I'm loading on an XL650 so it's not a big deal for me to put the extra crimp die in the 5th station or to just leave it out. I'm about to load up some 110 gr Z-max for the Blackout and then some 150 fmjbt and then I may play around with some 208 gr bullets.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
    What are you thoughts on using the Lee Factory Crimp Die on rifle rounds for an AR15? Particularly those for 223 Rem and 300 AAC BLK. Is it worth while to use or will it make a difference whether or not I do use it? Or is it even worth crimping rifle rounds at all? I'm loading on an XL650 so it's not a big deal for me to put the extra crimp die in the 5th station or to just leave it out. I'm about to load up some 110 gr Z-max for the Blackout and then some 150 fmjbt and then I may play around with some 208 gr bullets.
    My .2 cents. I crimp everything especially semi auto rifle. The last thing I want is bullet setback and a blown up gun.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CodySPowell View Post
    My .2 cents. I crimp everything especially semi auto rifle. The last thing I want is bullet setback and a blown up gun.

That has been my thoughts as well, but it seems like there is a lot of debate on whether even a light crimp ring in the bullet causes enough deformation to mess with the trajectory down range. May not be noticeable at 100 yards per se, but likely at greater distances. I'd like to try stretching this BLK out to 500 yards at least and the 223 out to 1000 yards.

Title
    That has been my thoughts as well, but it seems like there is a lot of debate on whether even a light crimp ring in the bullet causes enough deformation to mess with the trajectory down range. May not be noticeable at 100 yards per se, but likely at greater distances. I'd like to try stretching this BLK out to 500 yards at least and the 223 out to 1000 yards.
    I'd try it both ways. I did a bunch of testing with .223. Crimp and no crimp. The velocities were slightly more consistent on the crimped loads. The guys that anneal say that solves consistent neck tension, but won't necessarily prevent setback. I crimp everything because that's what I was taught. Piece of mind.

Title
    Premium Member
    I dont crimp 223 for my ar and have never had a problem

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    I only really crimp my bulk plinking rounds for my AR. I spend a little more time on brass prep when I work up loads and keep them in ammo boxes before I shoot them. The plinkers get put on stripper clips and tossed in my ammo can so they get beat up a bit more.
    An armed society is a polite society